I’m going to show you how to make vegan instant pot split pea soup in under 1 hour! Using simple vegan ingredients, I made this split pea soup in an instant pot taste just like the classic version.
This recipe is made with vegetables, split peas, bouillon, and other simple and tasty soup ingredients! If you want to mimic the chunks of ham in split pea soup, use soy chunks (mentioned in recipe below).
Related Recipe: Vegan Dill Pickle Soup
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
VEGAN | DAIRY-FREE | NUT-FREE
This instant pot split pea soup recipe is a vegan version of the classic split pea soup, traditionally made with chunks of ham.
In this vegan split pea soup, soy chunks replace the traditional ham chunks and liquid smoke adds a smokey taste often tasted from ham to make it entirely vegan.
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT SPLIT PEA SOUP (VEGAN):
- Split Peas
- Soy Curls / Chunks
- Olive oil
- Liquid Smoke
- Vegetable Bouillon Cubes
- Bay Leaf
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- 2 cup green split peas, rinsed, and sorted
- ½ cup soy curl / chunks
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped/diced
- 2 Carrots, chopped/diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small potato, cubed
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 4 vegetable bouillon cubes (or 4 tsp bouillon powder)
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized bowl soak the soy chunks in warm water for 15 minutes. Continue to step 2, but after 15 mins are done, drain, chop and set aside your soy chunks.
- Press the saute function on and heat olive oil. Add diced onion, celery, carrots, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring constantly for 3-5 mins or until onions are translucent.
- Add the chopped potato, oregano and cumin and stir until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Add the chopped soy chunks and liquid smoke and stir to combine, allow the soy chunks to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add bouillon and water and bring to a boil, then stir in the split peas and bay leaf.
- Add the lid to the pressure cooker, make sure the pressure value is set to close and pressure cook for 20 mins. When the machine beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally and do not disturb the instant pot/pressure cooker for about 15-20 mins.
- Turn the pressure valve to release any remaining pressure, and remove the lid. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more liquid smoke to taste. If the soup is too thick simply add more water until you reach the desired thickness.
- Serve with some crusty bread, garlic bread or croutons.
Hi! I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Dinner Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!