Mung Bean Egg RecipeI’m going to show you how to make my easy vegan mung bean egg recipe in 7 mins! This simple yet delicious high protein breakfast recipe can be made ahead and cooked into easy and nutrient-dense mung bean scrambled eggs or omelets.

This is one of my favorite ways to make vegan scrambled eggs for breakfast. All you have to do is blend everything together then pour it into a pan and cook into vegan scrambled eggs.

Related Recipe: Tofu Scrambled Eggs

Mung Bean EggsMung Bean Egg

VEGAN | EGG-FREE

Most vegan scrambled eggs are made using tofu, but this vegan egg recipe uses mung bean! Some people are allergic to soy so this vegan egg recipe is perfect for those with allergies. I also find that mung beans are better for shelf stability and last longer. If you need a new way to do vegan scramble, this one is for you.

Related Post: Vegan Fritatta

Mung Bean EggINGREDIENTS FOR MUNG BEAN EGG (VEGAN):

KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:

Mung Bean "Egg"

I'm going to show you how to make my easy vegan mung bean egg recipe in 7 mins! You can make mung bean scrambled eggs or vegan omelets.
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Vegan
Serves: 6 servings
  1. Drain your soaked mung beans, and rinse them. Then, to the blender, add soy milk, black salt, regular salt, olive oil (or coconut oil), turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, baking powder (and tapioca starch if you have it). Blend on high until smooth, thin and pourable.
  2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and heat up with oil (i use about 1 tbsp).
  3. Pour in the bean mixture, use a rubber spatula to stir and move the mixture around. Cover for 1-2 minutes.
  4. When parts of the mixture start to look like they're "drying", use a spatula to stir and move the mixture around to create a scrambled texture. Cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
  5. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
  6. Try this mung bean scrambled egg with veggie mix-ins like tomatoes, green onions, mushrooms, or vegan cheese.
Notes
You can keep the uncooked egg mixture covered in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 serving Calories: 146 Fat: 7.75g Carbohydrates: 6.75g Sugar: 1.1g Fiber: 5g Protein: 7.75g
Mung Bean Eggs The edgy veg

Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!

Looking For More Vegan Egg Recipes?

Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!

Share My Recipe on PinterestVegan Mung Bean Eggs

• Nolan says:

Absolutely perfect. Living in northern Ontario means limited supply of vegan products, and keeping a freezer full of the frozen Just Egg patties would be expensive, and take up a lot of room. I saw the video for this on Youtube, and decided to order the mung beans to try it out, and I have to say, it is perfection. The texture is amazing, ordering the black salt next to get the flavour in there. Thanks for this recipe, we are eternally grateful.

• Robert says:

I live in Costa Rica. Before moving here I was a big fan of the JustEgg product. I want to try this out, but the mung bean product you cite is not available here. I can have it sent down from Amazon but it is super expensive due to import duties and shipping fees. So I want to be absolutely sure this is the right product. Please advise: Banyan-Botanicals-Organic-Yellow-Mung Many Thanks, Robert

• Malinda says:

I wanted to say how much I love this recipe . I made it today for a bagel sandwich . I mixed in salsa & some crumbled tofu I had left over frayed it up & topped with vegan bacon strips . It came out perfect not mushy or processed tasting which I’ve had issues with the store bought versions . I’m so glad there is an at home alternative to the chickpea eggs which I don’t really care for & store bought eggs a bonus is this is way cheaper .

• Carrie says:

Just made it. Absolutely delicious. Going into the rotation. How have I been overlooking mung beans all of my life? And they’re so freakin cheap.
    You 100% need a nonstick pan for this (which I didn’t use because I don’t have one); but I will be buying one just for this recipe.

• Lisa says:

Sorry if this already posted but I don’t see it so I’m trying again.

I have regular sprouted mung beans in my pantry. They’re green with yellow insides. Can I use these or will I just be wasting all the ingredients?

Thanks!

• Lisa says:

I just have regular mung beans (they’re sprouted so the green husk is split but they’re green on the outside and yellow on the inside). Can I use these or will it be a waste of the ingredients?

• Missy says:

Mine came out Super thick. But I just saw your video on Instagram. The 1 cup of beans, did you measure that after they soaked??? I measured a cup, and soaked them then used them all….. But your video looked like it made A LOT less than mine! Hahah

• Cora says:

Why baking soda? What happens if it’s not added?

• Georgette says:

Made this this morning. Not sure what went wrong. Maybe it was too thick in the pan. I made a double batch but then cooked it in my 9 x 13 electric frying pan. It just ended up mushy and gooey. I like the idea of your reviewer baking it in muffin tins, I will try that next time. The taste was pretty good, I didn’t add the additional salt because black salt is salty enough.

• Joann m lakes says:

Sprout doesn’t sell split yellow Mung/moong beans in their bulk section. They sell yellow split peas. They are not the same! The mung beans they sell in bulk are whole (why they sprout) green mung beans. These are not the same either.

• Debbie Hardin Brown says:

First off I want to say how much I love your recipes. I made this and was amazed how much the taste was like the Just egg.. I always pour the Just egg in a large muffin top/ bun size baking pan and bake 10 minutes at 350 F. Then I let them cool and freeze.. I love it for sandwiches.. Thank you again.. I bought a 4# bag of split mung beans for just a little more than a container of Just egg.. In the freezer and ready to eat until time to make more..

• Audrey Zabohonski says:

If the mixture is still a little thick can I thin it out with a little more soy milk?

• Shari Valenzuela says:

Hi do you think I can leave oit the oil? Can you think of a good replacement for the oil? Thanks in advance for your response.
    Shari

You can leave it out but it may slightly change the texture. I’d suggest a bit more plant based milk or water or even refined coconut oil

• Hailey says:

As soon as this recipe was posted I knew I had to try it. I went to the Asian market the next day to buy some mung beans and tapioca starch. It was very easy to make and it made a large portion compared to Just Egg. I can’t have soy milk so I used unsweetened almond milk. I didn’t properly follow the cooking instructions (I didn’t cover it while cooking) so I’m not sure if that had an affect on the end product, but the texture came out a bit off. It has a gummy, chewy texture. I didn’t mind the texture too much because the taste was amazing! I would recommend cutting back on the tapioca starch (maybe just 1 tsp) and following the cooking instructions properly. Overall, this was a great egg replacer and I will be making it again!

• Craig says:

Made this (as first scrambled egg replacement I’ve tried) and was thrilled with it.
    Had it on toasted bagel, with sambal olec and fermented onion, peppers and garlic. I used oat milk (homemade) instead of soy.
    It was fantastic.
    Suggest stating that this recipe makes at least 6 portions (I am freezing most of it as nothing in it suggests that it won’t freeze OK) but really exceeded my expectations.

• Karen Brook says:

I frequently freeze Just Egg. I wonder if this could be frozen too and I also wonder how it works in baking? Did anyone try it?

• carrie says:

I have split mung beans in my grocery delivery cart for next week, so I’m making them then! I’ll post here once I’ve tried

• Mariah says:

This looks good but I’m confused! You said it’s good for people allergic to soy because no tofu, but then soy milk in the batter and no substitutions suggested? Am I missing something? Thank you !

• Dave says:

This looks great. Very similar to a pumpkin seed scramble I really like to make. As soon as I can find mung beans I will give it a go.
    Thank you!

• Marcie says:

Look for them in the bulk foods section at Sprouts, Whole Foods, or whatever healthy foods store your area has. I buy mung beans in bulk to grow my own bean sprouts, which is also easy and delicious, and saves money, too.

• Joann m lakes says:

• Gary Hume says:

I made this today and tasted great. I didn’t have any tapioca starch so used potato. The texture was very paste like, is that how it should be? im not sure if i cooked it for long enough!

• Audrey says:

Wanted to add that I found some at my local Asian market!