The Edgy Veg

Mung Bean Egg Recipe Mung Bean Scrambled Eggs

I’m going to show you how to make my easy vegan mung bean egg recipe in 7 mins! This simple yet delicious high protein breakfast recipe can be made ahead and cooked into easy and nutrient-dense mung bean scrambled eggs or omelets.

This is one of my favorite ways to make vegan scrambled eggs for breakfast. All you have to do is blend everything together then pour it into a pan and cook into vegan scrambled eggs.

Related Recipe: Tofu Scrambled Eggs

Mung Bean EggsMung Bean Egg

VEGAN | EGG-FREE

Most vegan scrambled eggs are made using tofu, but this vegan egg recipe uses mung bean! Some people are allergic to soy so this vegan egg recipe is perfect for those with allergies. I also find that mung beans are better for shelf stability and last longer. If you need a new way to do vegan scramble, this one is for you.

Related Post: Vegan Fritatta

Mung Bean EggINGREDIENTS FOR MUNG BEAN EGG (VEGAN):

KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:

Mung Bean "Egg"

I'm going to show you how to make my easy vegan mung bean egg recipe in 7 mins! You can make mung bean scrambled eggs or vegan omelets.
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Vegan
Serves: 6 servings
  1. Drain your soaked mung beans, and rinse them. Then, to the blender, add soy milk, black salt, regular salt, olive oil (or coconut oil), turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, baking powder (and tapioca starch if you have it). Blend on high until smooth, thin and pourable.
  2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and heat up with oil (i use about 1 tbsp).
  3. Pour in the bean mixture, use a rubber spatula to stir and move the mixture around. Cover for 1-2 minutes.
  4. When parts of the mixture start to look like they're "drying", use a spatula to stir and move the mixture around to create a scrambled texture. Cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
  5. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
  6. Try this mung bean scrambled egg with veggie mix-ins like tomatoes, green onions, mushrooms, or vegan cheese.
Notes
You can keep the uncooked egg mixture covered in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 serving Calories: 146 Fat: 7.75g Carbohydrates: 6.75g Sugar: 1.1g Fiber: 5g Protein: 7.75g

Mung Bean Eggs The edgy veg

Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!

Looking For More Vegan Egg Recipes?

Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!

Share My Recipe on PinterestVegan Mung Bean Eggs

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• Alice Mcroe says:

I thought this would be similar to Chickpea flour egg. But its SO MUCH BETTER. The texture and taste are spot on. Very excited to try other things like quiche and omelettes, egg fried rice etc with this recipe!

• Merry Mahoney says:

I used the recipe to make vegan quiche, and it worked perfectly! Quiche is something I have really missed, so thanks for a great recipe.

• Just tried this and the flavour is great. It holds up as an omelette.

My batch came out kind of tough and dense though. I used cornstarch instead of tapioca so that may have been the issue.

Is it possible to over blend it an make it tough that way?

I’m gonna play around with the rest, dilute a serving a bit more, add more baking powder. If you have any idea s I’d love to hear them 😉

• Substituting ingredients will change your results. I tested the recipe as written, corn starch has a different texture

• Rhonda Kesten says:

I’m eager to try this recipe. I read that it can be made ahead of time. Does that mean A) cook it up and reheat it or B)blend the ingredients, put it in the fridge til the next day and then cook it? I have a bag of dried sprouted mung beans that I put in veggie curry and it was really good. I’m hoping sprouted beans work as well. Thanks for posting this. Also…this is completely off topic… I like the idea of calling every type of scramble (egg, tofu, mung bean, whatever) just call it “a scramble” and let the word “egg” slowly fade away when we all think of scrambles. 🙂

• You can have the batter blended and kept in a jar in the fridge to cook when you are ready

• Bessie Hobson says:

How many servings does this recipe make?

• This recipe is sooo good. We have been having ‘omelettes” every weekend. I have also been trying different recipes to make vegan cheese chili rellenos, but I could’nt find a replacement for the egg batter for the outside of the relleno. Well here it is. I made them last week and it was perfect. I just dipped the vegan cheese stuffed relleno (Poblano) in flour, then the mung bean “egg” back in the flour and one more time in the mung bean. They fried to perfection!!!!

• Beth Claeys says:

This does not have an egg consistency. It’s more like cake batter/chickpea flour frittata batter. I think it’s the 1-1/4 baking powder that the recipe calls for. I am going to leave it out. I have made this twice. It tastes good but the puffy, risen texture is weird. But it tastes good! (I know I said that!) So I will keep tinkering.

• Love your recipes! Are the measurements for the mung beans before or after soaking?

• Absolutely perfect. Living in northern Ontario means limited supply of vegan products, and keeping a freezer full of the frozen Just Egg patties would be expensive, and take up a lot of room. I saw the video for this on Youtube, and decided to order the mung beans to try it out, and I have to say, it is perfection. The texture is amazing, ordering the black salt next to get the flavour in there. Thanks for this recipe, we are eternally grateful.

• Lorna March says:

hi i live in Australia and we dont get JUST EGG patties or the mixture itself in our stores. when i saw those just egg patties, (like squares of scrambled egg )and someone said they pop em in their TOASTER to cook/heat then whack em onto sandwich i was so jealous that we will have to wait ten years till your amazing products come over. lol
      so im gonna try Candices recipe here. did u kinda say in your comment that u make the square patty thingies from this recipe of Candices plez?
      thankyou

You can cook these in a pan into a crepe-like shape then fold and freeze then heat in a toaster when you’re ready to eat

• Robert says:

I live in Costa Rica. Before moving here I was a big fan of the JustEgg product. I want to try this out, but the mung bean product you cite is not available here. I can have it sent down from Amazon but it is super expensive due to import duties and shipping fees. So I want to be absolutely sure this is the right product. Please advise: Banyan-Botanicals-Organic-Yellow-Mung Many Thanks, Robert

• Malinda says:

I wanted to say how much I love this recipe . I made it today for a bagel sandwich . I mixed in salsa & some crumbled tofu I had left over frayed it up & topped with vegan bacon strips . It came out perfect not mushy or processed tasting which I’ve had issues with the store bought versions . I’m so glad there is an at home alternative to the chickpea eggs which I don’t really care for & store bought eggs a bonus is this is way cheaper .

• Carrie says:

Just made it. Absolutely delicious. Going into the rotation. How have I been overlooking mung beans all of my life? And they’re so freakin cheap.
    You 100% need a nonstick pan for this (which I didn’t use because I don’t have one); but I will be buying one just for this recipe.

• I make an omelette style in a small cast iron pan. Light and delicious with cheeze and salsa.

• Sorry if this already posted but I don’t see it so I’m trying again.

I have regular sprouted mung beans in my pantry. They’re green with yellow insides. Can I use these or will I just be wasting all the ingredients?

Thanks!

• I just have regular mung beans (they’re sprouted so the green husk is split but they’re green on the outside and yellow on the inside). Can I use these or will it be a waste of the ingredients?

• Mine came out Super thick. But I just saw your video on Instagram. The 1 cup of beans, did you measure that after they soaked??? I measured a cup, and soaked them then used them all….. But your video looked like it made A LOT less than mine! Hahah

• Why baking soda? What happens if it’s not added?

• Georgette says:

Made this this morning. Not sure what went wrong. Maybe it was too thick in the pan. I made a double batch but then cooked it in my 9 x 13 electric frying pan. It just ended up mushy and gooey. I like the idea of your reviewer baking it in muffin tins, I will try that next time. The taste was pretty good, I didn’t add the additional salt because black salt is salty enough.

• Joann m lakes says:

Sprout doesn’t sell split yellow Mung/moong beans in their bulk section. They sell yellow split peas. They are not the same! The mung beans they sell in bulk are whole (why they sprout) green mung beans. These are not the same either.

• Debbie Hardin Brown says:

First off I want to say how much I love your recipes. I made this and was amazed how much the taste was like the Just egg.. I always pour the Just egg in a large muffin top/ bun size baking pan and bake 10 minutes at 350 F. Then I let them cool and freeze.. I love it for sandwiches.. Thank you again.. I bought a 4# bag of split mung beans for just a little more than a container of Just egg.. In the freezer and ready to eat until time to make more..

• Audrey Zabohonski says:

If the mixture is still a little thick can I thin it out with a little more soy milk?

• Karen Lindstrom says:

I added more soy milk. It’s thinner going into the fridge tonight. We’ll see in the morning. Mine was pretty think to.

• Shari Valenzuela says:

Hi do you think I can leave oit the oil? Can you think of a good replacement for the oil? Thanks in advance for your response.
    Shari

You can leave it out but it may slightly change the texture. I’d suggest a bit more plant based milk or water or even refined coconut oil

• Hailey says:

As soon as this recipe was posted I knew I had to try it. I went to the Asian market the next day to buy some mung beans and tapioca starch. It was very easy to make and it made a large portion compared to Just Egg. I can’t have soy milk so I used unsweetened almond milk. I didn’t properly follow the cooking instructions (I didn’t cover it while cooking) so I’m not sure if that had an affect on the end product, but the texture came out a bit off. It has a gummy, chewy texture. I didn’t mind the texture too much because the taste was amazing! I would recommend cutting back on the tapioca starch (maybe just 1 tsp) and following the cooking instructions properly. Overall, this was a great egg replacer and I will be making it again!

• Craig says:

Made this (as first scrambled egg replacement I’ve tried) and was thrilled with it.
    Had it on toasted bagel, with sambal olec and fermented onion, peppers and garlic. I used oat milk (homemade) instead of soy.
    It was fantastic.
    Suggest stating that this recipe makes at least 6 portions (I am freezing most of it as nothing in it suggests that it won’t freeze OK) but really exceeded my expectations.

• Karen Brook says:

I frequently freeze Just Egg. I wonder if this could be frozen too and I also wonder how it works in baking? Did anyone try it?

• carrie says:

I have split mung beans in my grocery delivery cart for next week, so I’m making them then! I’ll post here once I’ve tried

• Shari Valenzuela says:

Hi is it split mung beans or lentils? Can I use whole mung beans? Thanks

If it says “moong dal” or you find the small yellow lentils, that’s what you’re looking for. Not the green ones

• Mariah says:

This looks good but I’m confused! You said it’s good for people allergic to soy because no tofu, but then soy milk in the batter and no substitutions suggested? Am I missing something? Thank you !

Sorry about that! You can use any unsweetened plant milk like almond or oat

• This looks great. Very similar to a pumpkin seed scramble I really like to make. As soon as I can find mung beans I will give it a go.
    Thank you!

• Marcie says:

Look for them in the bulk foods section at Sprouts, Whole Foods, or whatever healthy foods store your area has. I buy mung beans in bulk to grow my own bean sprouts, which is also easy and delicious, and saves money, too.

• Joann m lakes says:

• Gary Hume says:

I made this today and tasted great. I didn’t have any tapioca starch so used potato. The texture was very paste like, is that how it should be? im not sure if i cooked it for long enough!

• Audrey says:

Wanted to add that I found some at my local Asian market!

• Charmian OBrien says:

Sauce Stache on youtube has a video on pumpkin seed scramble. It has a lovely light flavor. I was very impressed. I tried out his recipe but at the time I didn’t have a high speed blender and also couldn’t get the skins off all the pumpkin seeds either. What came out tasted really nice but not what it should have been. I hope some experts will try out the pumpkin seed recipe because it has great potential, and looks just like the mung bean recipe here.

logo