In-N-Out Burger Animal fries are a cult fast food fav. I remember the insane line up of people that formed after our drive out of Burning Man every year. I was already a vegan at this point, so I wasn’t able to enjoy this tradition like everyone else, but it intrigued me.
After some quick research (thanks internet) I learned that Animal Fries are actually just fries topped with a sauce akin to the infamous Big Mac sauce, followed by melted processed cheese and some caramelized onions. EASY PEASY. Let’s do this.
The first step in creating the vegan version of the In-N-Out Burger Animal Fries is to create your sauce. In a bowl add a 1/2 cup of vegan mayo, 1/2 a cup of ketchup, relish, mustard, black pepper, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk this all together until smooth. When you’re done whisking your sauce put it into the fridge to marry flavours while you cook up your fries.
For quick and efficient snacking, I’ve decide to use store-bought, bake the fries. I assume that’s what most of you at home will using as well. Lay out our fries evenly onto your baking pan and follow the cooking instructions on the package.
While your fries are baking, take a white onion and chop it up. Heat up a frying pan, put some oil in it and toss in your chopped onions, adding a bit of salt to the top. I recommend cooking them slow and low to get that perfect caramelization, and to avoid burning them. Nobody likes burned onions, period.
Now that we have the fries in the oven and our onions on the stove, it’s time to move onto the cheese sauce. Take a microwave-safe plate and put a piece of parchment paper on it. Put 4 slices of vegan cheese ( I like Follow Your Heart) on the parchment paper and cook them at 15 second intervals until they are slightly melted- but not too much.
You now have all the components you need to create the vegan version of the In-N-Out Burger Animal Fries, so let’s make it happen. Heap the fries into a fun container or plate, and toss on your onions, animal sauce, and then pull your cheese right off the parchment paper and layer it over the top. Add more sauce to the top if you’re wild, and finally some additional onions. Part of what makes the In-N-Out Burger Animal Fries so delicious is the layering of ingredients. Now enjoy your DIY In-N-Out Burger Animal Fries, you earned them. 👍
- 1 package frozen oven-baked fries
- 4 vegan American-style vegan cheese slices
- 1 large white onion, fine dice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium low heat. Add onion and sauté for about 15 minutes until caramelized and browned.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together vegan mayo, ketchup, relish, mustard, black pepper, sugar and vinegar to create the Animal Sauce. Refrigerate.
- Bake the fries according to the instructions on the package and then immediately toss them into a big bowl with salt and toss to coat.
- Place fries into 4 shallow bowl or plates, and top with some of the onions (make surfe to save some for garnish, then a small dollop of the animal sauce. Then place a slice of vegan cheese, more grilled onions and then top it with more animal sauce.
- Some vegan cheese has a harder time melting. If this is the case for you, melt cheese in a small sauce pan and top melted cheese over fries with a spoon.