This Carrot Cake recipe is so delicious that even the Easter Bunny himself would have a hard time resisting it if left out. This combination of healthy cake ingredients and decadent cream cheese frosting makes for an unforgettable carrot cake that is far more than just an Easter treat.
I realized how much I love coconut, when putting this recipe together, it’s as though almost every ingredient has coconut in it! Hehe I especially love the use of coconut sugar and coconut yogurt. If you don’t happen to have any coconut yogurt on hand you can use applesauce as a substitute. This particular addition really gives the cake a nice fluffy texture, which is definitely a desirable trait in carrot cake
I juice on a pretty regular basis and always save my carrot pulp. This makes me less guilty about wasting perfectly delicious and nutritious carrots and gives me tons of carrot of this cake party. If you don’t juice, just grate a few carrots and you’ll be in good shape.
If you want to take the easiest possible way to ice your cake you can simply buy some vegan cream cheese and add your desired amount of icing sugar to it. For those of you that are up to the challenge of making your own cream cheese let me assure you it is not a massive undertaking. You start with confectioner’s sugar, add vegan margarine, almond milk, vanilla, a bit of salt, fresh lemon juice, and finally some apple cider vinegar. Mix all of this well and get ready to ice your cake. Trust me, it tastes exactly like perfect cream cheese frosting- with minimal processed ingredients.
Let me know what other spring-inspired recipes you want to see next! Happy Spring!
- 1⅓ cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Himalayan rock salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ⅔ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup soy or coconut yogurt or apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrot, with extra juice squeezed out (I like to save my pulp from carrot juice & use it for cakes)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350F, and grease your cake pan (or two).
- In a mixing bowl mix together sugar, coconut oil, yogurt or applesauce and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Add the dry to the wet and mix well. Fold in carrots and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into your cake pan (or two) and bake for 25-30 mins, until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.