If you like Ferrero Raffaello coconut candies you have to try this recipe. These homemade candies are a nice not-too-sweet treat to make for your family and friends during the Holidays. I grew up in Germany, and these were the chocolates that my Omi would lay out on our pillows when we came to visit, and were the candies my mom would put in our stockings on Christmas Morning. They have a very special place in heart, but they also put a huge hole in my wallet. Since these candies are made in Italy and need to be important to North America, they are the type of treat you actually “treat” yourself to when you’ve got extra cash flow.
Since I stopped eating dairy a long time ago, I by default gave up these heavenly coconut candies. It wasn’t until I was in a Swiss specialty store the other week with my mom, that I saw them and a realized it can’t be too hard to recreate them! I do manage to successfully recreate “meat” on a regular basis, so how hard could it be?
In the end I managed to come up with this totally vegan Raffaello recipe just in time for the holidays. These make great candy dish treats or a light after-dinner dessert. Nothing quite scream Christmas like snowflake-like coconut, right? I hope you and your family enjoy them!
- Put first 5 ingredients in a blender or food processor, and blend well until well combined.
- Put the ½ cup of shredded coconut in a small bowl.
- Use 1 tsp of coconut cream mixture, and roll into a ball.
- Press flat, and add one almond to the center.
- Fold the mixture over top to cover the almond completely & roll back into a ball.
- Roll in the shredded coconut to cover completely.
- Put in fridge or eat right way.