vegan chicken wings

I used to work in a pub and bar that had a special wings night every Friday. What is it about the wings and beer combination that is so alluring? Is it the cold contrast of bubbly beer after a smoking hot mouth? I used to love eating wings once a week and besides the usually met-free diet I kept, this was something I could happily indulge in.  When I smell a plate of wings walk by my table my mouth still salivates, not for the meat itself, no– it longs for the yummy, spicy, mouth burning sauce, and isn’t that really as chicken wings are– a sauce vehicle? I firmly believe they are just that. We just want the sauce don’t we?

Vegan Buffalo Wings Recipe

Give these delicious vegan wings a try-- I promise they will taste JUST like the meat version. The seitan chicken has taken me roughly 2 years to perfect. It is moist, and perfectly spiced. For the "bones" you can use either sugar cane or popsicle sticks; or you can simply have "boneless" wings!
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4 servings
Chicken “Meat”
Spicy Batter
Chicken "Meat"
  1. In a mixing bowl, mix together wheat gluten, salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder and poultry seasoning.
  2. In a larger bowl, combine ¾ cup broth and tahini and whisk until smooth.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and stir until well combined.
  4. Knead the dough until it is elastic but not dry. Sprinkle some additional gluten flour if you find you have made your dough too sticky.
  5. Divide the dough into small little disks, it’s fun to try and shape them into wing-like shapes. Keep in mind they will grow to about twice their size, so make then smaller then you would normally. Place in a casserole dish, covering them with 2-3 cups vegetable broth.
  6. Cook wings in broth for 1 hour at 350 degrees, flipping at 45 minutes. Allow to cool.
  7. Once cooled skewer your “wing” with a sugar cane “bone” or popsicle stick.
Spicy Batter
  1. Whisk together the egg replacer, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper into a medium size bowl.
  2. Put the flour and black pepper into a large zip lock bag.
  3. Dredge chicken wings into the egg mixture then toss into the Ziplock bag of flour.
  4. Deep fry in a large pot of oil or deep fryer at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until light brown and crispy. Remove wings to a paper towel lined plate or tray.
  5. Toss the wings in remaining buffalo wing sauce and enjoy. Dip onto vegan ranch sauce and follow with celery and carrot sticks.

Vegan Hot Wings

Vegan Buffalo Wings Recipe

• Fat loss tea says:

Buffalo wings taste delicious if the breading is tasty and crunchy. If you want a delicious and healthy dish, then you can go with vegan recipe.

• […] 2. Vegan Buffalo Wings: We can barely believe that these wings are vegan. You know what else is great? The fact that they’re easy to serve on a stick. (via The Edgy Veg) […]

• Kryssie says:

OMG just made this and it is SOOOOO DELISH!!!!! Thank you!

THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I am so happy that you like the recipe!!!!!!!

• eloise says:

What if u dont have vital wheat gluten? Can you use oat or wheat flour instead?

The vital wheat gluten is VERY necessary for this recipe, and cannot be substituted.

• Daniel says:

Possible, but not recommended: Ignore all the ingredients in the meat and just make a large ball of dough from flour (I used wheat) and water, then knead the dough under water. You are basically washing the starch out of the dough and will end up with a ball of gluten (you’ll have to change your water periodically, this is why you ignore the other ingredients, any added seasonings will get washed out in this process. Just rely on a stronger cooking broth and buffalo sauce to add the missing flavor). You might be kneading for hours, and the dough gets super tough in the end. This is really only a good idea if you’re in a very remote location and want to surprise someone with their favorite food. Otherwise, if you can help it, the amount of work it adds is not worth the dollar you may save. Good luck.

• Cristina says:

Hello!!! sorry for the question… but, how you make the egg replacer?

• LC says:

Do not doubt this recipe. Definitely the most delicious buffalo wings I have ever had!!!!!!

• Julie says:

Made these tonight from my home made seitan. Great batter! Delicious!

• How To Make Chicken Wings For Super Bowl 2015: 10 Easy Recipes For Buffalo, Spicy, Asian Barbecue, Vegan And Other Creative Dishes | 24h News says:

[…] Vegan Buffalo Wings: Satisfy your animal-friendly cravings with this recipe done from wheat gluten, nutritive yeast, onion powder and ornithology seasoning. Dip in vegan […]

• v2erotica Amanda says:

Could I bake instead of deep fry?

I have not tried it, but I am sure you could!

• Melissa says:

Regarding baking them: what I did was preheat oven to 425 degrees and lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I dredged the wings in the hot sauce mixture, then in the flour, then put them on the pan, then used a basting brush to brush them with more hot sauce. Every 10 minutes I would flip them over and baste again – 30-40 minutes total. You need a lot more hot sauce for this method so I just took a bottle of vegan hot sauce and mixed some earth balance butter with it and kept it warm on the top of the stove while the wings were cooking in the oven.
      Hope that helps!

• Sadie says:

These are just simply amazing! Even all of my non-vegan friends cannot get enough! Thank you!

Great!

• Shanee says:

I am transitioning to the vegan lifestyle after struggling with digestive issues. I feel so much better when I exclude meat and dairy products from my diet. I have also had sensitivities to gluten. I am wondering if anyone with gluten insensitivity has any issues with the vital wheat gluten or if they find it more easily consumed as part of the vegan lifestyle.

That’s a great question. I am not gluten-intolerant so I can’t answer that for you. But try a gluten-free forum, I know there are a ton online. 🙂 Welcome to the vegan lifestyle!

• Tim says:

just tried these. Started vegan diet 7 weeks ago and not generally looking for subs for meat, but these are genuinely delicious and have a wonderful texture. The seitan is easy to make and you nailed it with this recipe. Many times my friends and I have gone across the Niagara River to Buffalo for wings. Never again. Thes are better!

• Sara says:

Maybe I made these wrong, but I’m a fairly experienced vegan cook and to me these just tasted like chicken flavored bread? Even when I put the buffalo sauce on them they still didn’t taste anything like actual chicken to me.

Hi Sara, Depending on the type of gluten flour, you may need to add more liquid. As you work with seitan it becomes easier to tell when more tahini or broth is required.

• Elizabeth says:

If YOU made it wrong. Why give this recipe one star?

• Beth says:

C
    The recipe says cool them before frying. Cool in the broth or not?

• Jimmy says:

Worked for me! Love em!

• Angelica says:

Ok, this all confused me and I completely screwed up. The vegetable broth threw me off and I put in both measurements in one bowl with the ingredients and now its just not dough like. I really don’t want to throw this out I hate wasting food so how do I make this doughy..what extra ingredients do I add to get it there?

You can just add more gluten flour until it forms a dough again 🙂 Don’t forget to add more spices to accommodate.

• Angelica says:

So the 3/4 cup of Vegetable stock goes into the dry ingredients mix and the 2-3 cups of Vegetable stock goes in the pan when baking?

Yes exactly. one for the dough one for cooking/baking

• Kathryn says:

I found that two cups of broth to one cup of the gluten/spice mixture was 2x what is needed, so I made a “double batch”, because I kept the same ratio of gluten ingredients AND tahini, but doubledd the amount to get a cohesive mass. The seasonings are really good. I used my homemade garlic vegetable broth which is perfect for your recipe, Edgy Veg!

* Oh, my apologies! I see now that your recipe calls for 3/4 cup of broth for the seitan moisture!

• Kathryn says:

Made these twice already, and they are perfection! Made them for the 4th if July. They were gone in no-time! (Carnivores were SOLIDLY SMITTEN with them!) Thank you for saving the chickens!

• Michele says:

So where does the salt go? It’s in the list if ingredients but never in the recipe.

• Christy says:

Has anyone had success with these either baking or pan frying? I’m not a huge fan of deep frying. TIA!

• Eli says:

Hey Sweetheart,
    Love all your vdos!
    Question, can I replace the 2 tblspns of nutritional yeast for
    Garbanzo flour? And if so, how much should I use?
    Thanks in advance!

• Emma says:

I just want to make sure I have this correct… After baking the wings in the oven, you put them in the egg mixture and then put them in the pot of vegetable oil and put the pot back in the oven??

• Alisa says:

So awesome and delicious, I make them all the time!! Tip: Skip the Ranch, and use vegan Bleu Cheese dressing instead. More authentic.

• Nicole Dunbar says:

Is it sesame Tahini?

• Rupal says:

Can I store the Chicken “Meat” before doing the spicy batter or do I need to use it right away? Wanted make the mock meat ahead of time and then make the wings at a later time. Looking froward to making these. Thanks!

Hi Rupal! You can store the meat beforehand, I often make a bunch and freeze it until I need to use it 😉 Thanks so much for reading my blog!

• Angie says:

I just realized my tahini is expired. Could it be left out? What could be used as a substitute?

You need some sort of fat to get a nice juicy seitan. I don’t know what other type of fat you could use as a replacement. I have only ever tested it with tahini. I’m so sorry!

• […] NOTE 2.0: This recipe is basically a modification of many different recipes I’ve used to make spicy seitan, most recently this vegan recipe by The Edgy Veg […]

• Cathy Ruth says:

Made these today for Super Bowl. The recipe took some time to prepare, but it was well worth it! The recipe is easy to follow, the results are priceless. If you are going to a party of six or more, I would double the batch. I brought them to a carnivore party and they all loved them. I was done preparing them around 3 and the party wasn’t until 5:30, and they held up great. I put a few leftovers in the frig and am hoping that they will be good tomorrow. It seems that they would freeze well, but not sure. Love these!

• […] that my husband loves me: he made this recipe for vegan buffalo wings totally from […]

• suz says:

Once you made the meat and cool them after the oven part…can they be frozen before doing the dredging? Trying this for the first time tonight but thought I try and make an extra batch

• Patricia Kayden says:

Made these today. Substituted ketchup for the tahini. Very easy to follow recipe. Came out great. Thanks for posting this.

• Vincent says:

I need these in my life every day.

• Danny says:

Just made these, absolutely wonderful Great recipe!

• Mangosz says:

My parents love gardein wings from Yard House, but they are a bit pricey and sometimes we just aren’t up for the drive. I was soooo excited when I found this recipe!I just tried this recipe last night, was sooooo good!! I didn’t have tahini and I couldn’t find it at the local grocery store. I’m not an experienced cook I just follow recipes online and know nothing about what ingredients do to the food, so I decided to leave it out. It turned out really good. However, after reading the comments about the flavor tahini gives I think I might just go on a hunt for some tahini. But I seriously love this recipe thank you so much for sharing, definitely going to show it off at the next family get together!!

• […] chicken wings (just typing that has caused a pool of saliva to form in my mouth). I found the perfect recipe that satisfies that buffalo hunger. Keep in mind this is no walk in the park, the whole process […]

• Vegan SusInIndy says:

Just made these to top tonight’s Backyard Buffalo Ranch Caesar Salad dinner, though I used store-bought seitan. Better than the wings I’ve been getting from my fav takeout. Well done, wonderful easy recipe. I’ll wait to toss them in the hot sauce until right before serving… if there are indeed any left.

• Abby says:

I’ve already made this recipe twice. It’s fantastic, thanks for sharing!

• Bob K says:

Should I let the Seiten cool outside the broth? I’m still trying to make good Seiten without making it mushy.

• dana says:

can someone tell me how I can make this using Westsoy Seitan wheat protein? looks like everyone here makes their own seitan. Westsoy cubed seitan says its already cooked so add it last. so how can I make this recipe work? help.

• dana gale says:

not sure where my comment went. I tried to confirm my subscription to this blog, and it said expired. hmmm. anyway. everyone here clearly makes their own seiten. but I’m wondering how I might make this with premade cooked seiten? the box says add it last because its already cooked. anyone??

• Tom says:

Considering myself well experienced with vegan cooking, I know the struggles with perfecting a seitan recipe.

This is absolutely perfect and achieves exactly what it needs for this dish.

Super appreciative for sharing this.

• Will says:

I followed the recipe to a ” T “. It came out tasting like stuffing with hot sauce on it. It wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t the greatest 1st impression of seitan. I’m not saying the recipe is bad at all, It just didn’t have the flavor I was hoping for. The hunt continues….

• Will says:

Thank you for sharing anyhow! 🙂

• Will says:

I just noticed something. In your recipe it lists the use of “vegetable broth”. So that is what I used “vegetable broth”. However the links for the “vegetable broth” takes us to a product that is a vegetable base, not a broth. Which are not the same thing. So what should we be using a base or a broth? I used an organic unsalted “vegetable broth” because that is what the recipe called for “vegetable broth”. Some clarification may be useful for future visitors or a correction of the link. 🙂

• […] If you’re still drooling at the thought of wings, honey-sriracha wings put a fantastic twist on a classic favorite. Shop for pasture-raised, organic, local chicken to reduce your carbon footprint and make your wings healthier. Try the National Honey Board’s honey locator to find local honey, with floral sources unique to where you live. For all the vegetarians and vegans out there who want to try something new this Ssunday, check out this awesome vegan buffalo “wing” recipe. […]

• Kendra Wolfe says:

Feb-5-2017
    I definitely enjoyed these alot!! Great easy recipe.
    I used only 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of water to cook them in instead of 2-3 cups of broth and after frying them I tossed them in more buffalo and baked them dry! Also I only needed 1 cup of flower but still used the whole teaspoon of pepper and it was PLENTY.

• Lizzie says:

These were a hit! Sooo good. Thank you! Any idea on the nutritional facts (e.g. calories), say, per 4 “nuggets” with or without drenching in Franks. Sorry if this question’s been answered-I did try looking.

• Lizzie says:

Oops, 5 stars.

• Wendy says:

These were delicious! Pretty experienced Seitan cook and this was my first successful bufflalo “wing”
    used peanut butter instead of tahini, and changed up the final hot sauce to make it slightly “hotter”.

• Janine says:

VERY good! Used flegg (flax meal and water) as egg replacer. Turned out great! THANK YOU!

• sam hackenburg says:

just realize i bought tzatziki and not tahini could i substitute with ranch?

• Mama says:

Carnivore here. This is my third seitan and I’m beginning to really love these plant-based dinners. The texture of these is so good, as is the flavor of the homemade buffalo sauce, but I have to agree with the one who said that the “wings” taste a lot like stuffing. Next time, I think I’ll try a substitute for the poultry seasoning. I’m open to suggestions.