I’m so excited to share this crabless cakes recipe that takes 18 mins & makes 12-14 vegan crab cakes!
This recipe actually comes from my good friend Zacchary Bird who I wanted to share on my recipe blog. His recipes are amazing and his crabless cakes were one of my favs! He gave me permission to share his amazing recipe.
I made these crab cakes for a date night with Louis, and we loved them! Louis actually hogged most of them for himself he loved them so much. These would be a fantastic appetizer but also can be formed into larger vegan crab cakes as a main.
I love to support my friends in the vegan space and my friend Zacchary Bird is one of the kings of veganizing fast food. This recipe comes from his newest book called “Vegan Junk Food”. It’s a must-have for those of us who are obsessed with vegan junk food.
VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE OPTION
The key ingredient for these crabless cakes is salted crackers crushed to dust which forms the base of this recipe. You can easily replace the crackers with ready-made breadcrumbs, but then you don’t get the catharsis of assaulting your ingredients first. Your call.
INGREDIENTS FOR CRABLESS CAKES:
- Salted Crackers (GF option)
- Spring Onion (scallion)
- Dijon Mustard
- Tabasco Sauce
- White Vinegar
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Hearts of Palm
- Canola Oil
- Dill Pickles (gherkins)
- Celery Salt
- 120 g (4½ oz) salted crackers
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 spring onion (scallion), roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons shredded nori
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 400 g (14 oz) tin hearts of palm, rinsed and drained, halved lengthways and sliced
- canola oil, for shallow-frying
- chopped dill fronds
- chopped dill pickles (gherkins)
- celery salt
- lemon wedges
- Crush the crackers into a fine dust using either a food processor or in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin and lots of gusto. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Process the tomato, spring onion, mustard, Tabasco, vinegar, nori, Worcestershire sauce and Old Bay Seasoning in the small bowl of a food processer. Stir the mixture through the crushed crackers before mixing in the hearts of palm. Set aside for 15 minutes. Roll the crabless cake mixture into 12–14 balls and press down lightly to make mini cakes.
- Heat 1 cm (1/2 in) of canola oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Working in batches, add the cakes to the oil, flattening further with a spatula if desired before spooning some hot oil over the top. Cook for about 1½ minutes each side, until crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Swirl some tahini on a serving plate and top with the crabless cakes. Scatter over a few dill fronds, chopped dill pickle and some celery salt, and serve with lemon wedges on the side
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!