This recipe is essentially a party on a plate, and one of the more fun recipes I’ve made to date. It has that nostalgic feel of funfetti cake that we enjoyed as kids growing up, but this time with an adulting twist. With it finally being Spring, there is a lot to celebrate with Easter, Mother’s day, birthdays, you name it. Heck, you don’t need a reason to make these funfetti waffles, just whip them up and celebrate life! I promise you, it’s a piece of cake to make (sorry, couldn’t resist)!
Some of you may argue that this is more of a dessert recipe as supposed to a breakfast dish. You know what they say, life is uncertain so eat dessert first. There are no truer words. You can make these fluffy funfetti babies healthier by making sure to use organic ingredients and even going sugar free. Another option is to use a table spoon of agave or maple syrup for a sweetener instead of using granulated sugar. I also recommend these sprinkles that use only natural dyes and are non GMO, gluten-free and Kosher.
Essentials for making this dish include a waffle iron, which you can order online here.
To make these vegan waffles start by preheating your waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or in a bowl with a whisk or hand mixer, beat the aquafaba until light and foamy and resembles whipped egg whites. (yes, actually). Add the oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl or mixer and mix until smooth. Now add in the flour mixture and mix until well combined and smooth. Fold in the sprinkles until well incorporated. Almost there! Grease the waffle iron and ladle or scoop the batter onto the iron. Close and cook until the waffle is golden brown, about 4-5 mins. Carefully remove the waffle from the iron, and repeat with remaining waffle batter. Serve waffles with vegan whipped cream or fresh fruit and more sprinkles if you want!
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or in a bowl with a whisk or hand mixer, beat aquafaba until light and foamy and resembles whipped egg whites.
- Add in oil, almond milk, vanilla extract to the bowl to mixer and mix until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Fold in sprinkles until well incorporated.
- Grease waffle iron and ladle or scoop batter onto the iron.
- Close and cook until the waffle is golden brown about 4-5 mins.
- Carefully remove wafffle from the iron and repeat.
- Serve waffles with vegan whipped cream or fresh fruit.