Is there any partnership more beautiful than peanut butter and chocolate? Personally, I don’t think so– that is why I created this Reeces version of a Canadian favourite. I swapped out the traditional cream and replaced it with peanut-buttery goodness, everything else is the exact same as the original version.
When I was a kid my absolute favourite treat were Reeces peanut butter cups, I just couldn’t get enough! This easy recipe totally kills that craving I still get for those delicious cups of awesome. After tasting one of these bad boys you’ll forget that anyone ever teased you about being vegan. Yummers.
- ¾ cup unsalted vegan butter, melted (you could also use coconut oil)
- ½ cup organic granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs worth of egg replacer (I like The Vegg)
- 2½ cups digestive cookie crumbs, graham cracker crumbs, or any cookie of your choosing
- ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 1¼ cups natural creamy (not crunchy) peanut butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy-free milk ( I like almond or soy)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate, finely chopped or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Make the Base In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter or oil, sugar and egg replacer.
- Use a large wooden spoon to stir in the cracker or cookie crumbs, coconut and cocoa powder until completely combined.
- Transfer to the pan and press evenly into pan until the bottom is totally covered.
- Put the base in the oven, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before preparing the filling.
- Make the Filling Leave the peanut butter on the counter in a large bowl until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour into stand mixture or whisk in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, adding milk as necessary, and mixing until smooth.
- When the base has cooled, spread filling evenly over the base and refrigerate until firm. This will take about 1 hour.
- Make the Topping Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate.
- Spread melted chocolate over the filling, and refrigerate until firm.
- Cut into bars and serve.