Baileys. The lovely Irish cream you don’t think about until the winter months hit. That’s what happened to me. It wasn’t until a few of my pals sat with their special coffees that I felt like I was missing out.
Coffee and Baileys is a classic winter drink that will warm your insides on cold afternoon. I like to use a nice espresso or an espresso roast (drip coffee) so that the alcohol does not overwhelm the coffee flavor too much.
Once I was able to break down exactly what made Baileys so special, it was a no-brainer. I knew exactly what plant based ingredients I could use, to make it taste almost identical, or if I may be so bold—maybe even better than the original.
- 2 cups coconut milk, room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 shots of espresso, the good stuff
- ½ cup Irish whiskey, or to taste (I like Jameson)
- pinch salt
- Combine all of your ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth. If you have small size blender you may have to do this in batches.
- Adjust the sweetness and whiskey to taste, depending on how strong you like your baileys.
- Transfer to a mason jar and keep refrigerated.