Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich with alfalfa sprouts and tomatoes- this sandwich is layered with tofu egg salad, alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes piled high on a whole grain rye bread. It’s a back to school favourite!
Before I was a self-employed Vegan Foodtuber, I worked at an advertising agency. It was typical office life, 9-5, lots of calls and unhealthy eating as far as the eye can see. I tried as much as possible to bring my own lunch to work in order to save money, but also to keep it healthy. While leftover dinner is obviously the best choice (and my personal favourite) some times the dinner you indulged in was so good you managed to gobble up the whole thing. That’s when easy, but delicious sandwiches some into play. This vegan egg salad sandwich is a fun twist on the classic. It can be made ahead of time and in large batches so meal prep is less of a chore.
Now whether you’re going back to school or simply looking for something healthy, delicious, and easy to wipe up in 5 mins- this tofu egg salad is the bomb! The main ingredient in this vegan sandwich is tofu. If you’re thinking “tofu is out of my comfort zone”, or the idea of raw tofu scares you, don’t worry- I tested it on all my friends and they couldn’t believe it wasn’t eggs! In this recipe, medium tofu is replacing the egg, and we are using black salt to get that signature sulphur egg flavour. Medium tofu is key here. I think that medium tofu mimicks the texture of eggs perfectly. I’ve seen this also done with firm- but I don’t like it quite as much- the texture just seems “off”. The dressing for this salad is vegan mayo mixed with fresh herbs and celery, and is placed on toasted whole grain rye with sprouts and tomato. It is delightful!
To make this recipe, start by draining the tofu. You can do this by wrapping the tofu in a tea towel or paper towels and squeezing gently to remove water. Then, you can place it into a colander in the sink or over bowl to continue draining. Thanks gravity! Then you have to make the dressing! In a large mixing bowl combine vegan mayo, mustard (either dijon or regular yellow), nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, black salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Make to whisk it until smooth. If you’re having trouble finding black salt, simply pick it up here. It’s inexpensive and VERY helpful in vegan cooking. Now, use your hands and crumble the tofu into small pieces into the large mixing bowl with the dressing. Mix the tofu into the dressing well and taste. Add more mayo, black salt and cracked pepper as required to get an authentic egg salad taste. Now add herbs and veggies! I like to add celery, onions, parsley and dill or chives. Mix to combine and voila! You have egg salad! You can use this right away, or chill for a minimum of 30 mins (I do overnight) to allow spices and seasonings to marinate the tofu and infuse it with flavour.
- 14oz package medium firm tofu
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill or chives, finely chopped
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon or yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black salt (kala Namak)
- pinch cayenne powder
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 slices of your favourite sandwich bread, toasted
- ¾ cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Wrap tofu in a tea towel or paper towels and squeeze gently to remove water. Place in a colander over a bowl or in the sink and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mayo, mustard, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, black salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Use your hands and crumble the tofu into small pieces into the large mixing bowl with mayo mixture.
- Combine well and taste. Add more mayo, black salt and cracked pepper as needed.
- Add celery, onions, parsley and dill or chives and mix to combine.
- Use right away or chill for a minimum of 30 mins to allow spices and seasonings to marinate the tofu.
- Taste mixture after 30 mins and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Spoon tofu mixture onto four slices of toasted bread and top with alfalfa sprouts, and tomatoes (or veggies you want) and top with a second slice of toasted bread on each. Slice in half and serve, or wrap in eco-friendly sandwich wrap for a delicious school or work lunch.