Imagine a taco, a bowl of chili and a bag of chips all had a super-tasty orgy and then got pregnant. THAT my friends, is how you get a Frito Pie. The first time I heard about this dish my father was eating it at a little pub in Quebec. It looked simply enough to me, but the man just couldn’t get enough. To me, this was just a Tex Mex version of our beloved Canadian poutine. Both dishes sound ridiculous when described, and no matter how badly you may feel you need to hide your love, the experience is ultimately satisfying.
Frito pie as a dish has become popular in Southern United States, although some areas of Mexico will argue that it was their silly invention. Traditionally, the basic ingredients are chili, cheese, and Fritos. I decided to add some veggies to give this bad boy some extra punch! You can get totally creative and make additions like salsa, refried beans, vegan sour cream, rice or jalapeños, but this is my interpretation of this totally out-of-this-world-yummy, but-totally-bizarre snack food. It’s often served right inside the Fritos bag, but it’s equally appealing in a fancy dish of some sort– for those of us with any class at all…
At the end of the day, no matter who it ultimately was that created this silly treat in a bag, they get a solid A for effort, and an A+ for taste—because let’s face it, this thing is EFFING delicious!!
- ½ cup rice wine or white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- One bag of Frito’s
- 1 cup leftover or canned vegan chili, heated
- ½ avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- First make your jalapeño sauce by combining vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Add your sliced jalapeño and sliced red onion and cook until onions are translucent, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now the fun part… Slit open the front of the Frito’s bag with a knife or scissors. You don’t want the hole to be too big, but big enough to fit your ingredients inside (see my video on how I did this).
- Add a small amount of heated chili and mix it with the Fritos to combine well.
- Top with a generous amount of chili and garnish with onion and jalapeno sauce and a squeeze of lime if you so desire. If you have avocados, mash it up and add it on top. You can also add vegan sour cream, salsa or anything you desire.
- Now you are ready to eat your Frito Pie!