A taste of my homeland… Potato Soup has been a childhood favourite of mine since I was able to process different tastes. One of the most exciting moments getting off the plane in Frankfurt was knowing that there was going to be a HUGE steaming pot of potato soup with fresh pretzels. Sometimes when I get homesick I make this soup, venture off to the bakery while its simmering, and get the biggest, fluffiest pretzels I can.
Enough reminiscing… its time for cooking.
- Small amount of water for cooking onions
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cups water
- 5-6 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable bouillon (5 cubes)
- 2 tbsp Braggs Seasoning or Tamari
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- salt and pepperto taste
- Coconut Baconfor topping- optional
- Heat a little water in a 6-8 quart saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is tender.
- Stir in 10 cups of water, cubed potatoes, carrots, bouillon, basil, Braggs Seasoningor tamari, and dried thyme leaves and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend up the soup, leaving some pieces of carrot and potato for texture and mouth-fell.