We all know that we should be eating cleaner, more natural and of course organic; but sometimes alongside my wilted kale and beet salad I just want something naughty. Something forbidden; a dish to break the norm. But isn’t that almost a metaphor for life it’s self?
Look at the innocent asparagus spear; it’s beautiful appearance and delicate flavor make it an obvious choice alongside any meal. That perfectly roasted piece of asparagus will often satisfy my need for a nutty salty fix, but 20 minutes later I find myself wanting more. It’s a nice idea, but it just seems, a little safe.
Will that safe, elitist vegetables only role in life only ever be to become poached or roasted? Or can it become something bold and exciting?
Sure it can! It can take the classic grilled cheese sandwich to a whole other level. Imagine asparagus spears roasted to perfection and pressed between 2 pillow-like pieces of French bread, toasted to sweet, crunchy perfection. Take this sandwich beyond delicious and into the realm of incredible with a spread of pesto, it’s simply heaven.
- 4 slices bread of your choosing
- Vegan cheese shreds or slices, I like to use the cheddar flavor
- 1 tsp basil pesto
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- Olive oil
- Organic asparagus
- Himalayan salt & Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Wash asparagus and break off the tough ends. Toss veggies in a tiny but of olive oil, to lightly coat them and place on a baking sheet. Season with a pinch of salt, and generous sprinkle of pepper.
- Roast in oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat skillet or Panini grill on medium heat. While you are heating, spread the coconut oil or butter on one side of both pieces of bread. Spread pesto on one piece of toast on the opposite side of the butter or oil.
- Place the vegan cheese in the middle and top with roasted asparagus, create a sandwich. Place on grill for 3-5 minutes; be sure to give it time to toast. Do not rush this step by turning up the heat or your bread will burn!
- Flip it over, allowing the other side to grill.