Pizza. It’s just one of those things. It’s creamy, cheesy, salty, sweet, crispy, doughy deliciousness! Whenever ANYONE asked me what food I would eat forever while stranded on a desert island… I always said, “PIZZA– for sure! It’s the perfect food” The hardest thing to wrap my head around when I went vegan was NOT eating pizza. “WHAT WOULD MY POST-BAR FOOD BE?!’ Was at the time, a very valid question in my life, and often still is.
Until I figured out the exciting vegan, cheese-free ways to eat yummy, delicious, creamy, salty, doughy, crispy pizza! Here is one of my many favourite pizza recipes! You get all the creaminess of cheese with hummus and avocado, with the vibrant, sweet and salty taste of caramelized onions and roasted eggplant.
Go ahead… eat pizza young vegan Anakin!
- Pizza crust, dough or naan
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ¼ inch slices
- Coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup hummus, garlic works great here
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle your eggplant with coconut oil and sprinkle with pink salt. Roast these bad boys for about 20 minutes, flipping half way.
- Multi tasking is great! While your eggplant is cooking, sauté your onions in coconut oil and a pinch of salt on low heat until they are caramelized. The salt helps to bring out the moisture, so be generous. This will take about 30-40 minutes, be patient. Don't go adding maple syrup or some shit, let Mother Nature's sweetness shine!
- Once your eggplant is roasted, remove from your oven and crank up the heat to 450 degrees.
- Place your crust onto a clean counter (or on pan if it hasn't been pre cooked) and begin to build your pizza.
- Start with the hummus as your sauce, then top with caramelized onions and eggplant. Top with slices of avocado for creamy texture and a few sprinkles of finely chopped cilantro. Garnish with cayenne pepper and bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Edgy Veg Tip: Drizzle finished pizza with olive oil or balsamic for extra oomph!!