My Response to a Sucky Youtube Comment…

By August 15, 2013Lifestyle
Candice hutchings

HELLO FROM THE BATHROOM MIRROR!!!! #selfie

I get a lot of comments on Youtube. Negative comments, inappropriate comments and even lovely, friendly comments – I know shocking right?! I usually am pretty good at laughing at them and brushing most of them off as just childish boredom. This was not one of those comments. This week, I received a comment on Youtube that really started to irk me. I left it alone for a while, and it just ate away at the back of my mind. It really friggen bothered me! So I responded. Then they responded.

youtube comment

First comment

You can see the full thread on my Vegan Beer Video Here.

youtube comment

Second comment by same user

I then, became so passionate about my response that I responded again. That was the end—or so I thought. About 2 hours after responding the little worm that was this comment began eating away at my head again. It REALLY bothered me! It bothered me so much in fact, that I decided to write this post….

Let’s not complicate things.

Unfortunately we live in a world that takes advantage of animals and uses them to create/make the modern conveniences we have today. This is a valid fact and a valid argument. This is something that UNLESS we “moved into a cave, wore fig leaves and ate pine nuts” is unable to avoid. This is an unfortunate fact of our world today. However, you CAN try to avoid as many of these options by educating yourself and using your body and mind to make a difference in your own life as well as the life of another human being.

Don’t drive yourself nuts over the small things and beat yourself up when you make a mistake—it is all part of the journey. Be the best you can be, and the best changes from day to day. Don’t live in a state of vegan paranoia. That car you drive is probably not vegan… neither is the transit system… you can demand that Toyota make a cruelty-free car until your vocal cords start bleeding but it may never happen. So stick to the things you can control, your food, your beauty products, your clothing and cleaning products.

Let’s begin with choice and freedom.

I believe in freedom. I believe that you should have freedom to do with your body whatever you want. If you want to use your body to become a doctor, great! –Do that. If you want to be become a lawyer and save the world, amazing. If you want to become a lawyer and save evil corporations from lawsuits that they deserve, fantastic – you suck, but go ahead. And of you want to sell your body to earn money in a sex trade. Fine, it’s yours, so ultimately it is your decision. Making a choice to not do something, or do something, does not make you a hypocrite– it makes you a human being with the freedom to do what you want. I CHOOSE to be vegan, but I do not CHOOSE to live in ahut and be silent. Capish?

Sometimes people are just shitty people, and shitty people do shitty things. But it is THEIR choice and their right to make that decision. You can educate them, and ask them to see things differently but ultimately the decision is theirs. The world is full of good lawyers and evil business people, fantastic doctors, and corrupt policemen. That is just the way it is. CHOOSE to be different, and use that to MAKE a difference.

You DO have a voice.

I have chosen to be vegan. That is my passion. I chose to vote with my wallet by not purchasing fish, meat, dairy or eggs, for my consumption, but that is only one of my contributions to the world. I also educate. I show others that eating this way can be easy, and can be done daily. I provide options.

Do I preach? No. Do I say I am better than anyone else? No. I simply educate and ask that folks be aware of their purchases and encourage them to educate themselves. Because individuals DO have a voice, and this world we live in was built by individuals JUST like us.

Without people just like us we wouldn’t have roads, buildings or smartphones. But we also wouldn’t have mass farming and health washing either. Ghandi said to be the change you want to see in the world, and the simple act of living a conscious and compassionate lifestyle is exactly that. Vote with your wallet by purchasing local produce and visiting the local hardware store instead of Home Depot. YOU are big enough to make a difference and anyone that tells you otherwise is too afraid to make one themselves. Whatever you passion is, be it food, fashion, music –whatever. Go. Use it, and DO something. Let the haters, hate. They’ll always be there, but you will have grown out of them.

Make-A-Difference

Xo Candice

• Vegan traveller says:

Bah humbug, you get those shitty little trolls everywhere you go, no matter what you do. I had an old woman come up to me as I was sitting on a bench eating an ear of corn. You just can’t avoid them. What makes them so crabby is that you make them feel guilty for their choices so they get all defensive and up in your face. I have a come back for every idiot who thinks they have an original argument or comment. Sod them. Its none of their business. They can go chew on a bone and leave you to your pine nuts.

• Lizzie says:

The Vegan hating Trolls are the worst! I’ve been Vegan for over 15 years and I’ve had to put up with a lot of flack from those who don’t get it. You try to educate them the best you can. When you can’t, just smile and know you are doing the right thing for all the right reasons. Seriously, You Go Girl!

• Luis Gomes says:

Well said! So his point was like, since you can’t not harm animal altogether, you should keep the tendencies we have so far? So, since we can«t keep cancer off for sure, let’s all just smoke a pack a day! Why not? People need to review the meaning of freedom!

• lamia says:

I have been a vegetarian for over 4 years, transitioning to veganism thanks to people like you. I truly believe that it’s all about teaching people who don’t know any better, providing them with healthier options and educating them about smarter lifestyle decisions. Veganism is a lifestyle. It’s about conscious eating and conscious living. It brings all kinds of people together, people with different cultural backgrounds and beliefs. I am surrounded by people who keep telling me that it won’t change a thing, that cruelty is everywhere, in the medicine that is tested, in some of the clothes that we buy, and in many other everyday products. This is their argument, “why would we stop consuming animal products if it won’t really stop all animal cruelty?”. But the answer is actually simple: there is no excuse to causing the LEAST amount of harm possible.

Keep spreading your message, I know you’re making a difference because this message traveled all the way to Lebanon

have a great day
    lamia

Thank you Lamia for your kind and compassionate words. The truth is we CAN make a difference, and those that say otherwise simply are unaware of their true power as a human being. Keep doing what you are doing, the animals know your intention. 🙂

• Paula says:

I just stumbled upon your videos on youtube last week and today I searched your your website. I want to know more about you and what you do and what drives you since you are exceptional!
    Is there anything not to love about you and how you motivate me to try vegan dishes. Yesterday I worked late on the computer, your videos were running with speakers on the background of the computer, I really enjoyed listening to you. Kind of comforted me, since you are so positive and I work in a rather toxic environent.
    Again: is there anything not to love about you?

xo Paula

HI Paula!

Thank you very much for your lovely comment. I am honoured that you have chosen me to create a positive space in your “toxic environment”. That is exactly what my goal is every day, to inspire and bring joy to my viewers.

I wish you a beautiful day!! xo Candice

• Fabiola says:

I have found people like that in my journey too. It’s part of it I guess. I love what you are doing!!

• Hey Candice! Reading this post was a wonderful boost of support of the notion of choosing your life, doing what you what to do with your body fully and embracing the idea of embodying what you want to bring into the world. That being said, I’ve recently come to follow (and love you!) through Coral TV and have been addicted to your energy and light and am determined to take a page out of your book of spunk and vibrancy.

Keep at it! You’ve inspired someone here.

xx
    Emma

Thank you for your kind words Emma. I do this to inspire and to educate, and love to hear from those that it resonates with. Keep on being inspired and change the the world everyday!

xoxox

• Ara says:

Please don’t move to a cave…Caves don’t have the internet so we won’t be able to enjoy your posts anymore! Glad you responded to this guy…it’s hard to ignore trolls all of the time. Well said!

• rlogan1155 says: