The magic of key lime pie… Ahhhh it is to die for isn’t it? Creamy delicious sour but sweet flavour dancing on your taste buds…
I used to eat the whole damn pie as a kid! I remember going to potlucks with my mom and just skipping the meal so that I could steal that key lime pie right our of the kitchen and sit outside and eat it alone. It is absolutely shocking that I was not a child of 1,000 pounds.
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup dry walnuts, or almonds (not soaked)
- 4-6 medjool dates
- Pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- 1½ -2 avocados
- 1½ cups soaked cashews (drained, and rinsed)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp lime zest
- ⅓ cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract or ½ a vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- ¼ cup coconut oil , liquefied
- Place the coconut, walnuts and salt in a food processor and process until your walnuts are broken down, and slightly chunky.
- Add dates one at a time while pulsing until the mixture starts to come together when squeezed. You should be able to see small flecks of dates.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 6 inch springform pan, greased with coconut oil.
- Place in the freezer to set, and prepare your filling.
- Combine avocado, cashews, lime juice and zest, sweetener, salt, and vanilla in a food processor or high speed blender and process until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- On a lower setting, slowly add the coconut oil and process for another minute.
- Pour the filling into the crust, and place in the freezer to firm up, about 2- 3 hours.