Raw food is hot right right now, except that its not hot… Get it? Okay maybe I should just stick to writing recipes and leave the jokes to the pros…
When people think of the term “raw food” they usually think of salads and apples. They think that anyone that eats raw food is limited to those few items that most North Americans think of as a side dish…
Not this vegan! Hells no! I want to eat healthy, and clean, but I also want to eat exciting and flavorful dishes! Meals bursting with aroma and flavours, but also bursting with nutrient dense love for my body parts!
Most people say they miss comfort food when they start eating raw. Personally, when I think comfort food I think PASTA! Pasta with sauce, any sauce really, If its on pasta, I would eat it.
Now, what if I told you that you could make raw pasta in a matter of minutes! Literally, 5 minutes… No, I’m not joining, and this is not a cruel vegan joke. Raw pasta exists and is incredibly good for you. All you need is something to spiralize, like zucchini!
Raw zucchini has just 25 calories in it, making it an ideal pasta substitute. Who needs all the extra carbs and refined garbage? Not I! This makes eating pasta raw styles the smart thing to do 🙂
Before you spiralize your zucchini, wash it very well with a safe vegetable wash or vinegar and water. Don’t peel the skin, the rind of zucchini contains the nutrient beta-carotene, which is full of antioxidant properties.
But no raw pasta recipe would be complete without the raw sauce to compliment it! Today I present to you, my favorite creamy tomato sauce recipe! It’s top secret and nothing like you none used to make, sorry!
- 2 Zucchinis, spiralized
- 1½ Cups Roma Tomato,
- ¾ Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Soaked in water for 1 hr
- ½ Cup Raw Cashews, Soaked
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1-2 sprigs fresh Basil
- 1 spring fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp. Sea Salt
- ⅛ tsp. Black Pepper
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes and cashews.
- In a high-speed blender, blend the cashews with ¼ -1/2 cup of water until you get something that resembles cream.
- Add the fresh and dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano and spices, and blend until completely smooth.
- Add in more salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Serve over the spiralized zucchini noodles, and top with a sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast.
- Zucchini pasta can also be used be substitute pasta in warm dishes as well! Get your hands dirty and experiment!