Because hummus is high in protein, a great source of calcium, iron and amino acids; we vegans and vegetarians find ourselves eating this power house food often. Sometime a little too often. So let’s shake things up a bit, by adding some new and exciting ingredients!
Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin C, which produces collagen which helps skin retain is youthful elasticity ( bye bye wrinkle cream), and contain iron and magnesium giving you endless energy and helps your body to cope with daily stresses. You will find the full recipe below, as well as a quick video on how to make this hummus!![youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq31teI_5cg&hl=en_GB&version=3]
- 1 large baked sweet potato, skin removed, and cut into chunks
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, reserve 1 cup of liquid
- 1 ½ tsp sesame oil
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp Himalayan rock salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pinch of Paprika, plus more to garnish
- Pinch of oregano to garnish
- Place sweet potato in the processor, and break down.
- Add warm chickpeas into the processor along with the sesame oil, tahini, curry, salt, paprika and pepper. Run the processor.
- Take ½ cup of the liquid from the beans slowly add it until you have your desired texture. You may need less or more, so add slowly.
- When the consistency is even, smooth, and thick; then it is ready! This recipe makes about 3 cups of hummus.
- Sprinkle hummus with paprika and oregano to garnish and serve with crackers, veggies or use in a wrap.