2 ½ cups unbleached flour
¾ cup raw cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp Himalayan rock salt
¾ cups vegan butter
1 ½ cup cane sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 tbsp water, or more if needed
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl cream together shortening and sugar with an electric blender smooth. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add half the dry mixture and mix. Add 3 tbsp of water and beat until combined. Repeat with the other half of the dry mixture, add the remaining 3 tbsp of water. Make sure the dough isn’t crumbly. If it is, add water one tablespoon at a time until dough comes together.
- Roll dough into balls using the palms of your hands, flatten a bit.
- Place dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart (The cookies will rise and expand). Bake 10 minutes. Rotate the pan half way through.
- Let cool completely.
1 cup vegan butter
3 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Cream together shortening and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add sugar 1 cup at a time until icing resembles a thick paste.
Spread about a tablespoon of filling on the bottom of one cookie. Top with second cookie. Enjoy!