The Best Vegan Bacon: How To Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

Vegan bacon Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

Bacon is one of the most sought after foods in the entire world. Although not the healthiest food you could be eating, it certainly is one of the most delicious. People all over the world and all over the Internet have fetishized bacon almost to the point of exhaustion. I mean honestly if I hear one more person scream BACON at me in the comment section, or watch one more poor innocent meal get wrapped in bacon and deep-fried, I am going to burn my laptop and disconnect—just kidding, I wouldn’t last 15 mins without Snapchat or Pinterest. But alas, this trend does not seem to be going away, and so I must embrace it the best way I know how—Veganizing it.

Growing up, I didn’t eat much bacon as my mother was a Seventh Day Adventist vegetarian and the Bible described it as an unclean food. But being a child of divorced parents, my dad would serve it with breakfast, and on a handful of occasions I tried it—but it never made it into my regular eating patterns. Growing up in the country by a vegetarian meant that we were often exposed to farm animals, and so eating meat just didn’t appeal to me. I think much of this had to do with this animal exposure but also my mothers strict views on diet and eating, She described pork, bacon, ham to us as animals, instead of food; so it wasn’t just a plate of bacon—it was a plate of dead pig. When it came to food, and slaughter, my mother was always very honest about where it came from, and made sure that we were always thankful. To many people this may seem like an odd way of parenting, but in hindsight, this type of honest parenting is what made me compassionate towards animals, seeing them as equals with intelligence, and drove me to eventually become a vegan in my adult life.

For Vegans, the bacon alternatives are limited, and fail to live up to the standards that bacon lovers have come to expect. And let’s face it, most of us did not become vegan because we didn’t love the taste and smell of bacon, we became vegan because pigs are individuals that deserve love off the plate as well. Neuroscientists have studied and found that pigs share a number of cognitive capacities with other highly intelligent species such as dogs, chimpanzees, elephants, dolphins, and even humans. They are often compared to having the intelligence similar to that of a 3-year-old human child. So if you wouldn’t eat your dog or your toddler, you shouldn’t be eating a cute fuzzy piggy.

Vegan Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice PaperAs a society we have desensitized ourselves to what meat is and where it came from. And since we are a culture that very much identifies with food, and bacon as it’s own food group—I made it my mission to be able to look every “I would be vegan – but bacon” bacon-loving wannabe vegan in the eye with a piece of bacon and say, “Now you too can become vegan…” What is this magical bacon alternative I speak of? Making vegan bacon out of rice paper and a bacon marinade. Yup, rice paper, that stuff vegan up until now have been using to make salad wraps with. Blech.

This bacon gets it’s favor from a marinade made with Tamari, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, liquid smoke, and maple syrup. These ingredients together provide you with a smoky, salty and slightly sweet flavor very similar to bacon. This recipes does take a round or two of practice as the rice paper can be hard to work with, but trust me when I say; it is the BEST alternative to bacon I have tried yet! I didn’t come up with this concept, but here is my version.

Try it wrapped around king oyster mushrooms, as an alternative to bacon wrapped scallops, or wrap it around a veggie dog and grill it, Bacon wrapped dates as a chic, sweet and salty hor d’oeuvres anyone? Anything you could normally wrap bacon around you can definitely wrap this vegan bacon around, you could even have bacon on your veggie burgers, in sandwiches or crumbled on top of your salad. Don’t be afraid to get creative. While it is impossible to truly duplicate the flavor of actual bacon I think this is as close as you’re gunna get!

What are you waiting for? Get out that bowl, whisk, and rice paper and get cooking!

Vegan bacon Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

Vegan Bacon: How To Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

This is by far the best vegan bacon out there. I have tried many different types and this is by far the crispiest, meatiest vegan bacon out there.
Recipe type: Vegan
Cuisine: Vegan
Serves: roughly 30 pieces
  1. Cut rice paper into thick strips,by laying two sheets on top of one another. Use a large, very sharp knife to cut the sheets into strips by placing the blade onto the paper and pressing firmly. The rice paper will crack a bit- but using a very sharp knife should eliminate major breakage.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  3. Prepare 2 baking sheets with sheets of parchment paper.
  4. In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the rice paper. This will become your marinade.
  5. Prepare a second wide bowl filled partway with water.
  6. Take two strips with similar length and shape and lay them side by side. Using a pastry brush, brush each sheet with water and stack them one on top of the other. They should start to stick together.
  7. Brush water along the side facing you and, holding them together, flip the paper over and brush that side with water.
  8. Lay on a piece of parchment or a cutting board and do this with as many pieces as you can until you run out of space.
  9. Once you've run our of space or rice paper- whichever comes first- using dry pastry brush (do not using the one you used for water- it will dilute the marinade) and brush the marinade onto one side of the now fused rice paper strip, and lay marinade side down onto the baking pan.
  10. Now brush the marinade onto the strip facing you,coat generously. Both side should now have marinade on them.
  11. Repeat technique with remaining rice paper strips until the baking sheet is filled, whisking the marinade every so often to prevent separation.
  12. Bake for about 7 to 8 minutes, until crisp.
  13. The strips burn easily, so keep an eye on the baking sheet and remove from sheet right away.
  14. You can store leftover rice paper bacon in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for a few weeks.
Notes
If you like softer, chewier bacon follow these preparation instructions instead.

1. Cut the recipe paper sheets into strips as instructed above.
2. Place sheets into the bowl of water until soft, remove from water and carefully lay one on top of each other on a cutting board. Removing excess water with fingers and allowing to dry for 2 minutes or until they have fused together.
3. Dip this strip directly into the marinade, and remove excess with fingers, and place on the baking sheet.
4. Bake as directed above.

Vegan bacon Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

• Mary says:

Love it! I would love your recipe for your morning ginger shots!

• Lizzie Violet says:

Very similar to you, I am a Vegan and my partner is an Omni. Though I would never force him to go Vegan, I want to find alternatives for ALL the non-vegan things he eats! This will be a great replacement for Bacon. 🙂

• katie says:

pretty good! i used smoky chipotle adobe sauce instead of liquid smoke and paprika but i think it took over. needs a tad more salt- cant wait to try again!

• Nancee says:

Love it ..Can’t wait to have BLT sandwich.

• Amelia says:

I just made these on a whim at 2 am, which is when all the best cooking happens. I really loved the texture and the idea but the sauce ended up tasting like nutritional yeast only. That is to say, I had parmesan cheese flavored bacon which I wasn’t really happy with. I’m excited to have this new technique of facon though!

• Nancee says:

I made the bacon and had a great BLT…

• JoAnn Lakes says:

I’m going to try this the next time I want to make bacon. I’ve been making my bacon with yuca and pan frying it. It comes out crisp and tasty and holds up well in the fridge. I do think that I will reduce the amount of nutritional yeast in your recipe. I want a smokey taste not cheesy.

• Kim says:

Just made these tonight and they were yummy! Added a touch more maple syrup because I’m Canadian and we put that sh*t on everything…hahaha

• Gia says:

Can leftovers be frozen?

• maryanne says:

This is getting me another step closer to finding a bacon substitute. Due to health conditions, my Dad was ordered “no salt” and he loved his bacon! Any ideas or substitute suggestions for the soy sauce? I am anxious to try this recipe.

Hmmmmmm perhaps try balsamic vinegar?

• Courtney says:

Liquid aminos is the closest to soy sauce ive found-i dont think balsamic would result in the same type of flavor

• Betsy says:

Coconut aminos is the lowest sodium soy sauce substitute I’ve found. And I have searched! 🙂 I’m a registered dietitian that works with heart patients and my dad has congestive heart failure.

• Shannon says:

Oh my gosh! This looks insanely good and so real! I am not a fan of the eggplant and coconut bacon, so I will have to try this!

• Coool dad says:

Best vegan bacon I’ve tried!! Amazing.

• Aubrey K. says:

I made these last night and they turned out FANTASTIC! I enjoyed them so much that I forgot to take a picture. I made another 2 more batches and forgot to take pictures yet again because these are just too tasty to last that long. I eventually got a picture after the 4th batch, wow are they photogenic! I wound up making the most deliciously crunchy BLT I’ve ever had.

THANK YOU, Candice, for helping to inspire me to go vegan, and for providing mouth-watering vegan recipes for me to try. I will be sharing this with all of my omnivorous friends to blow their minds.

WOW!!!! I love this account of your vegan-bacon-cooking adventure. I am so happy to be part of your journey! Welcome to the family!

• Baby says:

I made the major mistake of frying these instead of baking carefully. I wanted it to be crispy so I overcooked and I guess the ingredients did not take well with my oiled pan and high heat. I will bake tomorrow and be a time nazi on how long I cooked it. I won’t give up. lol

• Judith says:

Hi, I usually make my vegan bacon with coconut and it tastes really good but doesn’t look like bacon. I will try yours soon.

• Morgan says:

I made these but with brown rice instead of regular. I made it exactly according to your recipe and they turned out too crispy and so chewy you couldn’t pry it apart with your teeth. I tried various batches and burned a few as well as different flavors/water combinations. I found it was easier to paint the water on a full round piece, place it together with another and then put the marinade on. That way when you cut it the strips were even and thus cooked evenly. You just had to work quickly. I wouldn’t recommend the brown rice version but still good.

• Anna says:

This was so good! A tip for cutting the rice paper is to use “wet” scissors to cut! I just quickly put mine under running watter before cutting and it was so much easier than using a knife or fry scissors 😀

• It looks delicious – but it would be good Internet manners to link back to the people who invented this method of vegan bacon 🙂

• Mrs Vanacore says:

OMG you are too cute. Thanks for the recipe, I am excited to try it as I am not to fond of the vegan bacon at the stores. Thank you for your videos.

• Briana says:

Hello:

Just a correction. It’s ok, we all make mistakes 🙂

In the holy bible, Jesus said we could eat anything. He changed the old testament laws that prohibited eating unclean meats:

“It’s not what goes in you that defiles you, it’s what comes out…It’s your words that defile you. ”

I believe it is in agreement with all Christian denominations…especially since it came from Jesus’ mouth.

I still prefer veganism.

• Cynthia says:

That verse was pertaining to calling the gentiles or “people” unclean. NOT FOOD. God changes not.

• Susie says:

I agree with you, Cynthia!

Too many people want to take verses out of context so that they can feel better about what they are doing wrong. Just because society wants to rationalize that, “A “good God” wouldn’t care what we eat,” doesn’t mean that God has changed His laws to conform to societal “norms.”

His word WAS, IS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE the same.

Brianna, you say you didn’t put your comment up for her to comment on… Good Christians are supposed to help each other with understanding what the Lord really says. What if you believe something was true, it wasn’t, and it cost you your salvation? What if another Christian knew you were wrong, yet didn’t correct you for fear you would be offended or upset? Who’s fault is it? Who loses their salvation- the first person, the second person, or both?

Be certain. Be very, very certain. <3

• Briana says:

I don’t need you to post my previous comment. It was only meant for you to see.

Keep up the great work.

Love and peace

• lili says:

Can the Oil be left out?

You do need the oil to get this bacon to be as authentic as possible. If you don’t like olive oil you can use whatever oil you prefer.

• Heidi says:

It didn’t turn out the way I wanted it… :'(

• Shelly Phan says:

These are so freaking good!!!! My non vegan family loves these. It tastes exactly like real bacon and it looks like it too when it cooks.

• Bonnie says:

I made these and my Hubby and I couldn’t get enough. The BLT’s were delish. Thanks so much for your recipe. I had trouble at first getting them to stick together so I wet both sheets and stuck them before I cut them. As I’m a quilter I used a ruler and rotory cutter to cut them and it worked great no breakage.

• Kim says:

This is soooooooooo good. I just finished eating the whole batch. Yummy

• […] bacon recipes out there, but former carnivores know, there’s nothing quite like it. However this recipe from The Edgy Veg might be the closest I’ve tried! I went with the “chewy” […]

• Patti says:

These had a great bacon-like flavor. At first, I took it out of the oven too soon for fear of burning it. It was chewy at that point. After cooking it a few more minutes, it became crispier and great for inside my Rice Paper BLT! I’m excited to have this option for those special occasions.

• Philip Manthe says:

This was really good! I’m super impressed! The only suggestion is to spread the marinade on with your fingers. This does a great job of creating those darker and lighter streaks that real bacon caused by the mix of meat and fat.

• Cassie says:

SO FREAKING GOOD. I made a BLT with this and it was the best I’ve ever had. My carnivore bf thinks it tastes like fried chicken skin, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing in my book.

• Leigh says:

This was amazing! I made it for breakfast yesterday. My 5 year old did not care for it but my husband and I both loved it.
    thank you!

• John says:

Great recipe. I didn’t have any rice paper in the house but did have dried bean curd, paper thin.
    I soaked it for a few minutes then drained off the water and painted on the mixture. It was probably stronger than rice paper would have been.
    It cooked beautifully. I now have a huge amount to put into all kinds of recipes over the next week or so.
    Thank you.

• Drew Harper says:

I’ve done a few vegan bacon recipes. This is by far the best, with a few personal tweeks.

– Use a sharp knife to cut the rice paper. If there’s texture, put the texture side up when you cut. Just place the blade on the paper and bear down on it. Cuts pretty easy.

– This recipe is SUPER salty. On the second go, I cut the tamari in half (1 1/2 tbsp), added more maple syrup (1 tbsp) and a 1 tsp of water. This made it taste much more like bacon.

– This come out very crunchy if you watch the pan. I used a parchment lined baking pan..worked great.

– For sticking the rice paper together. Just use a small bowl, run the paper through it once, then stick the two sheets together. Bond the sides without the texture and it’ll stick much better.

– Use one swipe of marinade on the bottom, then flip, once swipe of the brush on the top and you’re done. Too much marinade makes it less crisp.

• Lynn says:

I made this a few weeks ago and made a BLT for my hubby, he LOVED it (he is a carnivore)!! Win win!!! I just ate it plain, yummy!!! One question, can you make this a few days ahead and it will stay crispy???? I am having a vegan brunch for my boys and their ladies for Christmas and I want to make this, but i have so much to do, anything I can make ahead of time will be very helpful! Thank you bunches!!
    Lynn

I’ve made it a head of time, you just have to keep it in an airtight container. If it does lose it’s crisp- just heat it in the oven for a couple minutes 🙂 I am SO happy that your family enjoyed this recipe!!!!

• Linda says:

This is great***** I cut the sheet of medium rice paper in four,that way there is some all over my sandwich.Eeven my husband likes this!

• Anon says:

So…you’re opposed to eating a pig, but scallops are still on the menu? I thought being vegetarian meant not eating ANY animals, not just intelligent ones.

This is a vegan blog, all recipes that are suggested are vegan versions of those recipes. As I said in my write up, “you can wrap them around king oyster mushrooms as a vegan alternative to bacon wrapped scallops”

• […] siitä erittäin aidon näköisesti Pinterestistä löytyneestä vegepekonista, joka löytyi The Edgy Veg-blogista. Arvatkaapa, mistä tämä pekoni on tehty! Kaikkea kanssa, riisipaperista! Itselleni ei […]

• Debbie says:

This.Changes.Everything.

• Marianne says:

We Dutchies love this too, to go with our ‘stamppot’ 🙂

• Monica says:

I finally made this! It is super crispy! My husband and I really enjoyed it. I also used scissors to cut the rice paper because my knife just wasn’t working. I think next time I might glue a whole strip together then cut afterwards, just to save myself the tediousness. Thanks for the awesome recipe! Definitely the best vegan bacon I’ve had!

• Rita says:

That’s the thiinnkg of a creative mind

• […] I did a little research and found that people make vegan bacon out of tofu, rice wraps, and even vegetables (see Hot for Food’s cassava/yuca bacon recipe here and the Edgy Veg’s rice paper bacon recipe here)! […]

• Maiken says:

I really wish you would include a link to the original inventors of rice-paper bacon (laekon), which originated in Denmark (of all places, we have an insane pig industry, which was why the inventors went to work on this project). I know you have changed the ingredients a bit, but they still deserve the credit for the original idea.
    – Maiken

• […] the perfect animal friendly breakfast. For other takes on bacon, check out The Edgy Veg’s rice paper recipe or No Meat Athlete’s bean […]

• Heather says:

Mine didn’t have much flavor, I didn’t think it tasted like bacon, but it was very satisfying and felt like eating bacon. I’m not sure if I did something wrong or not with the Seasoning. I’ve not tried a vegan bacon I like, but this one is great! I’d have never thought to use rice paper for this.

• Elisabeth says:

We’ve just tried making these, and after cutting the first strip from the hard rice paper rounds I decided that I’d wait and cut the rest after brushing it with the water and flavouring. This was so much easier – especially when I switched from trying to cut it with a knife to using a pizza cutter. Then it was a breeze!

• Sarah says:

Oh heavenly goodness, I just made this and died a little… I used onion powder instead of garlic powder though, and totally forgot the maple sirup, it was delicious nonetheless. This with scrambled tofu… I can’t wait to have that. Thanks for the recipe.

• Marti says:

After reading all the positive comments, i decided to try this again. This time i lowered my oven to 350 and baked for 6 minutes. I also used the scissor tip and and excited to say they came out wonderful! Thank you for sharing this recipe!!

• Amanda Renny says:

Very nice recipe and it is so easy to make at home. Very awesome recipes. Looking very delicious. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I will definitely try it. Please share some more yummy recipes like this.
    vegan food recipes

• Melissa says:

I just just pulled it out of the oven!

I was sceptical but this is yummy!

I wish it was a little thicker as thats how I used to like my bacon… might try your marinade with tofu slices.

• Not your business says:

Why do all of your ingredients have a hyperlink to the Parsel magazine!?!?! That’s not really kosher

• Karen says:

I just made a batch and my bacon loving husband and bacon loving friend both thought it was awsome!!

• Karen Joseph says:

Love this recipe. Is i much easier though to cut with kitchen scissors and so much faster!

• Lo says:

I just wanted a bacon alternative recipe, not some lecture from a spoiled out of touch white girl filled with junk science.

• Great weblog here! Also your website loads up very
    fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your associate
    link in your host? I want my website loaded up as fast as yours lol