Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich | Vegan recipe

Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich

The next time you feel that undeniable craving for fast food, even though you know it’s pretty much garbage wrapped up in foil, take matters into your own hands and make something just as tasty in your own kitchen. This has been philosophy for years, and became my saving grace when I went vegan.

Today, I am sharing with you my recipe for a Chick-Fil-A Sandwich, thanks to almost a year of begging by James and his friends. There are many recipes on my site and my channel for most of your fast food favorites done vegan style. But this one has probably been requested the most—and actually a dish I myself, have never tried the real version of. So this recipe was created blind with a room full of junk food loving, male, omni taste testers. There are 1,950 different places in America that you could be tempted to eat a Chick-fil-A sandwich, and while it would no doubt be delicious—I am confident you will find the vegan alternative just as satisfying, if not, far better in many ways.

This recipe matches the unique flavors of a Chick-fil-A Spicy Chicken Deluxe sandwich, which using my seitan chicken recipe as the base. You’ve seen me use that in my McChicken Sandwich, McNuggets and Popeyes chicken recipes—so if you’ve made those, then you’ll be a pro at this. To get that pickle-y flavor unique to Chick-fil-A, we are going to marinate our seitan for about an hour in a pickle juice bath. Now DO NOT do this for more than an hour, or else all you will taste is pickles.

Like all my copycat recipes, I do try to keeo them as authentic as possible, so to get that signature crunchy breading we are using powdered sugar- Yup! You read that correctly- sugar. The powdered sugar, in conjunction with the baking powder will give your breading that unique Chick-fil-A crispy, crunchy texture. For this recipe I also researched what type of oil they use for their frying, and found out it was peanut—so sorry for all you nut allergy peeps, you’ll have to use another type of oil and have a less authentic version. Just kidding- I love you. I am just trolling. I always use my deep fryer for these copycat recipes to make as authentic as possible, but if you don’t own one, or refuse to use one; you can always pan fry it in enough oil to make sure it is completely submerged.

James told me that he always loved his spicy chicken sandwich with cheese, so I topped everything with a slice of vegan provolone. And Voila! You have now created the epic world famous Chick-fil-A sandwich, vegan style. You’re welcome!

vegan spicy chicken sandwich recipe

Chick-fil-A Spicy Chicken Sandwich | Vegan Recipe

This is an easy vegan recipe for a Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich that you can quickly and easily make at home. This vegan spicy chicken sandwich is made with battered seitan, tangy pickles, and vegan cheese.
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4 Burgers
Chicken Meat
Marinade
Binder
  • ¾ cup plain, unsweetened soy milk or 5 eggs worth of egg replacer, prepared
  • ¼ cup pickle juice
Breading
Toppings
  • Burger buns, use whatever you want! I used white buns to be authentic
  • Pickles, cut into medallions
  • Your favourite Vegan cheese (I used provolone)
Chicken "Meat"
  1. In a mixing bowl, mix together wheat gluten, salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder and poultry seasoning.
  2. In a larger bowl, combine ¾ broth and tahini and whisk until smooth.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and stir until well combined.
  4. Knead the dough until it is elastic but not dry. Sprinkle some additional gluten flour if you find you have made your dough too sticky.
  5. Divide the dough into small little burgers. Keep in mind they will grow to about twice their size, so make then smaller then you would normally. Place in a casserole dish, covering them completely with vegetable broth.
  6. Cook burgers in broth for 1 hour at 350 degrees, flipping at 45 minutes. Allow to cool.
  7. Mix together the marinade in a plastic bag or shallow bowl and allow the seitan to soak for an hour.
Binder
  1. Mix together pickle juice and almond milk or egg replacer and set aside.
Breading
  1. Combine the flour, powdered sugar, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
  2. Warm the peanut oil in a deep fryer, frying pan or pot over medium heat until you reach 325F.
  3. Toss the seitan “chicken” cutlet into the dry mixtured and coat completely, then toss it into the wet, again coating evenly on all sides. Toss into the flour mixture again and coat generously. Repeat with the remaining cutlets and set aside.
  4. Place cutlets into the hot oil using a pair of tongs. Flip occasionally to ensure even cooking. Allow to cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until the outside is crisp and golden brown. Allow to drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining cutlets and sprinkle with cayenne pepper to achieve ultimate spicy perfection.
Building your burger
  1. Place your buns in a frying pan over low heat until slightly toasted.
  2. Place vegan cheese on the bottom half of each bun, then top with the fried seitan chicken and top with 4-5 pickle medallions. Serve immediately.
Notes
You can also cook your plain seitan in broth on a stove top, I find that this leaves you with softer seitan. I switch between the two methods depending on my mood.

Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich recipe

BUY THE INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE

• Valerie says:

These were very good! Made them tonight for my omnivore husband, and he was all about them. I will say that the flour mixture was a bit too much. Like, cut it in half for only four parties. Other than that, excellent! I’m all about the cayenne. Definitley used all that you called for!

• Michelle says:

Very excited to try this recipe out! Pre-vegan this was my favorite fast food item.

• Bethany Awesome says:

Holy smokes! I just bought a deep fryer and wanted to break her in special-style. I’ve only toyed with seitan a couple of times, but I made this tonight and I am a new woman! I tested the recipe for an upcoming dinner with a friend who doesn’t do spicy, so I left out the cayenne (and added sliced onions to the baking broth). It turned out fabulous despite missing the heat. Instead of making four patties, I made nine big nuggets.

I’m saving the leftover broth and flour mix to make more soon! Thanks a whole bunch!

• kristine says:

Hello!

This looks so good but I’m fairly lazy 🙁 Could I use store bought seitan instead of making my own? I’m not too familiar with cooking with it, so that may be a silly question.

Kristine

• This sounds delicious! However, since I’ve gone vegan for my health, I’m avoiding oils and frying. I find most things crisp up baked in the oven on a sheet of parchment paper and a baking pan. Do you think that would work with these? (I know they won’t be ‘authentic’ that way.)

• […] Chick-fil-A Vegan Chicken Sandwich by the Edgy Vegan […]

• Katie K says:

Your seitan chicken recipe is SO GODDAMN GOOD. HAIL SEITAN!

• Jodee says:

I made this tonight for my meat-eating husband who has to cut down on meat eating to stop gout attacks and he absolutely loved it. I loved it, too! Thanks!

• […] Vegan Chick-fil-A Spicy Chicken Sandwich by The Edgy Veg […]

• Mikayla says:

I would love to try this recipe but I only cook for one! I was wondering if this is something that could be saved as leftovers, and if so should be frozen or refrigerated?

Thanks!

• Natasha says:

Just tried this one, actually i think seitan smells and tasts a little like dog food but gave this a try with loads of chilli and cayenne and hot saus and pepper, guess what. I did’nt get compleetly rid of the weird seitan smell, but it tased great. Even my meatloving hubby liked it. Thanks for sharing????????

• Meg says:

This is amazing. I have been vegetarian for nearly 3 years and this is by far the best meat substitute I have ever had! From what I remember, this is EXTREMELY similar to chick fil a and is definitely worth making!

• Chevonne says:

Which egg replacer product did you use? Looks yummy!!!! Thanks

• Ashley says:

This was SO good. We made homemade buns and put pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, and mustard on ours! When I make this next time (yes there will be another time or two…or three..) I will be sure to knead it enough. I think a little rest would have been good after I mixed everything together, and before kneading the patties. A few of mine fell apart and a few stayed together perfectly, but I was SO pleased with the outcome. Thank you!!

• Wendy says:

Silly question here: what kind of pickle juice? Dill pickle, or bread and butter pickle, or sweet gherkin style pickle?

• Liana says:

Are you kidding me with this recipe? I would eat this everyday if I could. Thank you from the bottom of my happy tummy!

• Mel says:

The first time I made these they were near perfection. This time, they did not cook in the center. Not sure what happened. I did kneed them in my mixer. How long should the dough knead?

• Nichole says:

I have celiacs so I cannot have seitan. Is there an alternative you could think of?

• Dolie says:

My seitan is in the oven as we speak and I’m SO excited to eat this!! But quick question, how long do these last in the fridge and is the taste compromised at all after a day or two in the fridge? Can they be frozen? Thank you very much for this recipe. Although I haven’t even eaten it yet I have a feeling it’s going to be bomb as heck! 🙂

• Danielle Shenise says:

Can this be pan fried in a 1/4″ of oil or does it have to be full on fried?

• Deborah Baker says:

I made this today! The only thing I did differently was I used the Instant Pot and cooked them at high pressure for 4 minutes instead of baking them. So yummy, and nice and crunchy when fried! We have leftovers. Thanks!

• BJM says:

I would love to try this, but can’t have gluten. Any acceptable substitutes.

• Sarah says:

They take longer than an hour and a half if they cook for 1 hour AND have to marinade for an hour! Kind of disappointed that the instructions states differently than the top of the recipe that say 1.5 hours. I guess dinner will be VERY late ☹ hope it’s worth the hungry family.

• Katie says:

I never comment on recipes, but I had to with this one – my husband and I LOVE it. We are both vegan and I make this so often it’s insane. We eat it plain, on sandwiches and in wraps, and even though the recipe looks fairly complicated, it’s really easy to make – most of the time you’re not actively working because the seitan is baking or marinating. It also yields a lot of patties, so we always have plenty of leftovers. I’ve made it for non-vegans – even non-vegetarians – and they’ve loved it, too. The breading is delicious, and I love it because, even if I’m running low on something, it still works. I’ve swapped the tahini for peanut butter when I was out, and when we only had a little bit of pickle juice I skip the marinating step and saved it to use in the binder (not quite as flavorful but it is still very tasty!). All-in-all, I just had to say that I love this recipe, thanks so much!

• T says:

This looks great and I really want to try it! However, I am confused with step 6. By cooking, do you mean baking the seitan pieces at 350° ? Or are they on the stovetop? I hope this is not a silly question, just asking for clarification. Thanks so much!

• Pat says:

Not vegan, not even vegetarian, but my daughter is vegan, and I like family dinners, so I made these tonight for the family. I didn’t follow the rules exactly. I doubled up the chicken patty mix and subbed half pickle juice for broth while making the patties. I didn’t marinate. (Truth is, I was short on pickle juice.) Then I used vinegar in the binder. Delicious! Thank you.

• Fraser says:

Delicious!! Followed the recipe exactly but triple dipped them for a thicker spicy crispy batter. Tossed them in hot sauce and served in a steamed burger bun. Very impressed but would make 8 thinner, flatter ones next time as these were a little thick

• Jordan says:

Mine are in the oven now, I flipped them after 45 minutes and they weren’t doubled in size and they also looked to be falling apart!? I followed the recipe exactly! Hoping these turn out, really looking forward to them!

• Amber says:

I would love to try this recipe but do you have recommended substitutions to make it gluten free?

• Casey says:

If I use premade Seitan do I still need to do the baking part? So excited to try this!!

• Amber says:

Do you have recommendations for making this recipe gluten free?

sadly not. You can use your favourite gluten free chicken alternative and bread it in gluten free all-purpose flour? So sorry- I’m not very good at making recipes GF.

• Kelikaneki says:

Delicious! What a great recipe! My husband raved about it and he is very picky about his seitan. Thank you!