It’s about that time of year where we begin to craze the hot heat of summer. Long, cozy days at the beach, drinking beer on the patio, grilling some sweet potato burgers on the BBQ, all of these activities and more, will soon be enjoyed by folks both young and old. It doesn’t matter your age; some things will be fun no matter what! Another activity that does not have an age limit is ice cream eating. I remember sitting out in the backyard with my mom sun bathing, and having her abruptly ask me. “Hey, want to go get some ice cream?!” She was just as enthusiastic about the trip as I then became the minute she suggested it.
My mother has always been a fan of simple pleasures, and she would be satisfied with a simple 1 scoop cone from the local ice cream shop, but every once in a while we would drive by the McDonalds on the route, and she would turn to me, “Let’s go crazy and get a McFlurry”. There was something about ice cream mixed with cookies that was as delicious as it was absurd. Ice cream wasn’t bad enough for us, why not add 10 cookies in with the mix?! I always admired my mom for that, she is sooooo healthy at home, but when she had a craving—we went all out!
- 1 pint of dairy-free, vegan) ice cream, I like coconut milk ice cream
- 10 Oreo cookies or any candy or cookie of your choosing, smashed into pieces, but not powder
- a large bowl or drill
- a sense of childlike enthusiasm
- Leave your ice cream out on the counter for about 15 minutes, or until your ice cream is soft, but not melted.
- While you are waiting for your ice cream to become soft, crumble your cookies (or other choice of candy) with your hands.
- Place the broken cookies and ice cream in a mixing bowl. Using a wooden mixing spoon, mix the ingredients together.
- Place a spoon inside a drill. Place your ice cream and cookies into a large plastic or ceramic glass (make sure it’s tall). Turn on the drill and mix the flurry with crazy!
- You want the dessert to have a "dirty" chocolate cookie color with large pieces of cookie throughout. Place your treat in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve in tall glasses with a thick straw. You can garnish with an additional cookie to be super fancy with you wish.