Mushroom gravy is a wonderful vegan gravy option that's easily made from from scratch. It is not as challenging as you might think, and can easily be whipped up last minute.
Author: The Edgy Veg
Recipe type: Sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 ½ -2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 spring fresh rosemary, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- ¼ cup red wine (for a white sauce, use white wine)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with 1 cup of vegetable broth until well dissolved. Once dissolved, add the remaining broth and mix. Set aside.
- Preheat a pot over medium heat.
- Saute the onion in oil until translucent, about 3- 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and saute for another 5 -7 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Let wine reduce for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth mixture and the nutritional yeast.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often.
Use this gravy at thanksgiving dinner, on poutine, schnitzel or on biscuits.